For history buffs, the drive traverses along the historic Butterfield Overland Mail Stage route.
Per Wiki: The town gets it name from a former village of the native Luiseño people called awáanga, meaning 'dog place'. When the Butterfeild Overland Mail established a station there in 1858 it was called Tejungo Station. In November 7, 1861, Lieut. Col. Joseph R. West, mentioned the location was called Giftaler’s or Giftaler’s Ranch, in a journal of his units march to Fort Yuma on the old Butterfield Overland Mail route. In a later Civil War itinerary of the route, it is referred to as the "Dutchman's".